BACKUP DIRECTConfiguring McAfee Total Protection for use with Connected 8
This tutorial will show you how to configure your McAfee software to allow the Backup Direct Connected PC backup software to function properly.
Firewalls or other security software can sometimes block the Backup Direct software from accessing the internet. This is because they falsely mark the backup technology as harmful or unknown. It is therefore necessary to follow these instructions and allow our software to access the internet. Without doing this you might not be unable to use our service.
- Double click on the McAfee icon to run the software
- Click on Firewall
- Click on Settings
In order for the Connected backup technology to function correctly we need to change the Program Permissions.
- Click on the Program Permissions feature.
- Scroll through the list until you find the entry entitled 'Agent Service Module'.
- Click on the entry to select it.
- Click Edit to change settings of the selected entries.
As a default McAfee will often set a programs access to the internet as Outgoing only. This is to try and prevent malicious access into your computer from the internet. In the context of the Backup Direct Connected PC backup software, however, full access is required. This is so the data can be both sent and received (backed up and restored).
- Click on the Access box in order to see the available permissions options.
- Click Full.
- Click Save to process the changes.
The required permissions and internet access have now been granted to the Connected backup service. This will allow normal functionality of the agent.
You may also receive notifications in real time of programs which are being monitored by McAfee. In this case you may see that after completing a backup McAfee has detected incoming connections from the program Agent Service Module. This is part of the Connected backup technology. To allow Connected full access you can use the notification window in the bottom right.
- Click Allow to give Connected permission to both send and receive over the internet